Send via SMS

1.4.06

Immediacy

"So you’re super-connected now, all the freaks gather around, and the crowd in your bedroom waits for a piece of your personal space."

I think I have blogging guilt. I feel compelled to post. The problem with this is that I have absolutely nothing of any substance to write about. Here, have some vagueness:

- Day 26 of my latest attempt to quit smoking. It's getting easier every day. I only really struggle when I'm watching someone enjoy a cigarette, even if it's on TV. Drinking isn't half as much fun as it used to be, either.

- On the subject, I've only been allowing myself to drink one night a week for the past month. I don't miss it at all. Though that might be because I'm too busy missing cigarettes.

- I lost another four pounds this week. All hail me.

- We watched Brokeback Mountain today. Not sure what all the fuss was about. It was a decent film, but - other than considering Heath Ledger for Best Actor - I wouldn't have given it any Oscars. Cinematography, maybe. Do they give an Oscar for cinematography? I don't watch them, so I'm really not sure.

- We're currently watching Ghostbusters. I once saw a T-shirt with a little picture of Slimer on it and the quote "He's right here, Ray. He's looking at me," and I didn't buy it. That was a really bad decision.

- Does all this immigration stuff strike anyone else as a little bit like a lot of rich white folks arguing with themselves? Jenn's workmates tell her the illegal immigrants should make her mad because of the time and money we've spent bringing me here legally. I don't quite get that. It's the laws and the enforcement of them that's wrong here. How could you blame somebody for taking advantage of that? Oh, and for the record, building a big fence from California to Texas is the stupidest idea I've heard in at least two days.

- Is anybody actually reading The Curve Ball Conspiracy? I'm having a great time with it, and I think it should have a readership of millions.

- I have just now decided that I'm adding The Colbert Nation to my list of links. Don't get me wrong, I love The Daily Show, but it's slowly becoming something I watch while waiting for The Colbert Report to start. Genius.

- Being unemployed is only actually fun for about three weeks.

- I restarted the novel this week, switching from third person to first and past tense to present. The writing is still a slow process, but I'm feeling a lot more comfortable. The change brings an immediacy that was missing from what is supposed to be a fast moving story.

That's about all I have. Expect more linear blogging in the very near future.

6 Comments:

Blogger PMK said...

I'm the same. My last 2 posts were imbedded videos nicked from other sites. Unfortunately, blogger doesn't like playing 2 vids at once on the same page, so it plays both vids in both windows simultaneously. Nice work me.

And you DIDN'T buy a Ghostbusters T-shirt? For shame. Good taste in movies though...

11:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, they do have oscars for cinematography. Previous winners include: On The Waterfront (1954), Spartacus (1960), Apocalypse Now (1979), Ghandi (1982), American Beauty (1989), Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon (2000).

Unemployment not being fun after the 3 week mark is not a revelation. I can recall several occasions of my brother transforming into The Creature from The Black Lagoon at approximately that point.

3:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I check Curveball daily, the last two (Chomp and especially Limited Liability) have been my favourite. It reminds me of what Tribe is doing with Flashing in the Gutters but without the rad photos. For mass consumption, get more peeps to link to it (preferrably in a post if they already have a stupid amount of links) and offer the chance for them to be apart of it again.

They'll be on it like white on rice.

4:57 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Curve Ball Conspiracy is great!

8:01 PM  
Blogger John said...

Linearity is overrated. I prefer a nice ellipse. Or a parabola.

8:07 PM  
Blogger JC said...

I'm certainly a fan of the Curve Ball Conspiracy!

11:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home