Send via SMS

16.3.06

Public Service Announcement

"Time and time again, translation seems to sabotage the words. You know, what is said is not what is heard. Damn this mean device, it makes a whispering man sound as if he cries. It's the pinnacle of what is typical."

I just wanted you all to know that, while working on the novel today, I typed the following sentence:

"So while he had given up drugs, and he did see today as the first day of the rest of his life, he didn’t want it to come out like it was a cry for help, like he was one of those celebrity fuckbags who’d do whatever came their way, whine about their five minute marriages, and then miraculously find a God they’d already disproved the existence of by not drowning in their own vomit."

Thing is, I'm working on Jenn's computer and in Works Word Processor, a program I'm not entirely familiar with. So, while I thought I'd nailed the spellcheck settings before I got started, WWP begged to differ, and - while I was busy finishing the paragraph - switched 'fuckbags' for 'buckbeans'.

Obviously.

Anyway, just so we're clear on this:

Buckbean - A perennial herb (Menyanthes trifoliata) native to the Northern Hemisphere and having trifoliate leaves and clusters of white, pink, or purplish flowers.

Fuckbag - e.g. Ben Affleck.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laughing my ass off because I hate Word. The auto formatting, the auto correct all seem to be the default. Having to disable them is a pita.

5:07 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Just for fun, I cut and paste your quote into Microsoft Word, the big brother of Works and it made the same switcheroo...someone at Microsoft either really loves buckbeans or really hates fuckbags.

7:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

for the smoking.......

http://wiki.ehow.com/Break-Any-Habit

5:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i know tht says smoking's an addiction, but once you get the nicotine out of your system , it's just the habit you need to break.

5:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home