Send via SMS

17.8.06

You're Twisting My Melon, Man

"A night that's so blue feed the aching in you, and the background birds take a flight from the earth, where the bonfire burns, and the night current turns on a lifeboat floating down a river of sleep."

I didn't even notice that yesterday's post was #200, possibly because in reality, I'm closer to 300, but I killed many of the smaller, irrelevant entries from the old blog when I brought the archives here. Happy Pseudo-200th Post, NFADR, I guess.

Yesterday was bittersweet for me. On the one hand, I finally got out of the house, I'm finally making some money, and my job is ridiculously easy. On the other, I spent an evening stocking shelves, helping people who didn't appear to understand my accent, and being patronised by spotty students ten years my junior. I think I need to try a little harder to not make a career of this kind of mediocrity.

Christ, what an awful sentence. Where the fuck did that come from?

Anyway, I'm done with the diary stuff for today. Let's do a playlist instead - this one's a mixture of old and new from my iPod.

1. Heaven Hammer - Beck (Fantastic remix of Missing from Guerolito. I've been listening to this non-stop).

2. Patent Pending - Heavens (Heavens is the side project of Alkaline Trio frontman Matt Skiba. This is the title track of their first album, due out Sept. 12th).

3. Dear Scene, I Wish I Were Deaf - Nightmare Of You (I don't know anything about NOY. I just got hold of the album after hearing this on the radio. They sound worryingly like The Housemartins sometimes).

4. Caribou - Pixies (Classic Pixies track. One of my all-time favourites).

5. L.S.F. - Kasabian (I'm not a big Kasabian fan, but this track's catchiness is undeniable. Great for the gym).

6. Gardening At Night - REM (Debut single from Stipe and company. It's been a while since they were anything like this good).

7. This Is Such A Pity - Weezer (I have a love/hate relationship with Weezer. This, however, is a great song).

8. Step On - Happy Mondays ("You're twisting my melon, man!")

9. Mandy Goes To Med School - Dresden Dolls (Prime example of the awesomeness that is the Dresden Dolls. If you've not heard of them, you should have).

10. Into The Void - Nine Inch Nails (With Teeth got me back into NIN after not listening to them in a while. This is industrial fun over a bassline that just won't quit).

11. Turnaround - Nirvana (I downlo...er...bought Incesticide yesterday because I hadn't heard it in such a long time. This is probably my favourite track).

12. It's a Beutiful Day - Reagan Youth (The typo is theirs, not mine. If there's anybody out there still in any doubt as to what punk rock sounds like, try this).

13. The Comeback - Shout Out Louds (Oddly catchy number from little-known Swedes. Only song of theirs I like).

14. You Only Live Once - The Strokes (I know, I hate The Strokes. I'm as disturbed as you are that I appear to be developing a liking for their most recent effort).

15. Diane - Therapy? (The mighty Therapy? break out the strings for this cover of an old Husker Du anomaly. Wonderfulness results).

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kasabian are Gods. I saw them at Brixton Academy two days ago. It seemed like the whole of London SW9 was singing the chorus of LSF (football chant style) for half an hour after the gig was over - quite something. And I think I had a pint of every variety of beer the bar sells in my hair.

And the singer needs a good seeing to.

The new album can be exclusively listened to on Myspace at the mo.

'Bass' has 2 's's, by the way, sweetheart. :)

4:33 PM  
Blogger Jay said...

Don't take your job too seriously. It's transitory.

2:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home