Send via SMS

24.6.06

Bliss

"This is what it's all about, take me in and eat me out. Pins and needles in my arms. Lucky eyes and lucky charms."

We're halfway through another lazy weekend out here in SoCal, gleefully spending Jenn's new-found wealth (a recent payrise just showed up in her wages) on food, alcohol, and movies. I have my EAD card now, but my social security number has yet to show up, meaning still more time spent stuck in the apartment with only the cat for company. The annoying thing is that, legally speaking, I can work without the SS number, but in practice, almost any job application I could possibly fill out is useless without one. So once again we're waiting. With any luck, though, the thing will turn up by the end of next week, meaning I should just about be able to catch the end of the World Cup before I have to start working.

A surplus of free time has, naturally, led to my becoming more immersed than I normally would in the World Cup. Since the tournament started, I've watched about 90% of the games, and even found myself writing in-depth analyses on various messageboards. My presence in front of the television during the football (and it is football. I will not call it soccer) has led directly to Jenn becoming involved, initially as a disinterested observer, but latterly as a partisan supporter, usually of the underdogs.

So this morning began with the first half of the Germany/Sweden match. I then left Jennifer to the second half while I made my now-customary trip to the gym, where I burned my current daily rate of 1100 calories or so before indulging in the newest part of my workout: hurling my sweating, exhausted self into the swimming pool at the conclusion of my excursions. Seriously, it's awesome. I'll grab a picture on Monday so you can see it for yourselves, but the way the gym is set out is so the exercise bike and the treadmill - my two morning nemeses - are positioned to each side of a pair of swing doors that open directly out onto the pool. So I can slide off the bike, ditch my iPod, pull off shoes, socks, and t-shirt, and run straight out through those double doors and into the cool, clear water beyond.

Bliss.

Today I came back from the gym/pool, grabbed a quick shower, and then accompanied Jenn on an expedition for lunch and ice cream. With that mission duly accomplished, we came home and did us some eating in front of a rather thrilling confrontation between Mexico and Argentina. We then got drunk while watching Johnny Depp in The Libertine (Critically overrated, I thought, but Depp was as awesome as always and there were some absolutely killer lines) and the much-lauded Russian sci-fi thriller, Night Watch (pretty good, actually. My only problem with it was checking the sound options for the original Russian dub so we could watch that with English subtitles, being unable to find any options except for English, Spanish, and French, then sitting through some appalling voice acting that spoiled an otherwise enjoyable movie only to discover afterward that the original Russian language soundtrack was available as an option...in the fucking special features. Honestly, who hides the original dub of their film in the special features without including it in the audio options? That's just about the dumbest thing I've ever encountered).

Then we ate an Enormous Bastard Ultimeat Pizza (they should totally call it that) from Round Table.

That concludes today's ramble, the point of which was simply to make my meagre readership understand that I love Saturdays.

Thank you for your time.

3 Comments:

Blogger PMK said...

You're welcome.

I've never been a fan of footie as far back as I remember. Ther league crap just pissed me off, as 2 guys can be sitting in a pub chatting merrily about the weather, politics, whatever, but as soon as they discover that they support opposing football teams, they're mortal enemies and would like nothing better than to cave each others skulls in with a bar stool.

The world tournament is a different matter tho. I'll watch the games in passing, but if there's something better on the other side, Beckham and troglodyte, sorry, Rooney can get stuffed

8:26 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

My wife is from Brasil. Therefore the world cup is a staple here. I personally don't give a crap who wins but I prefer it not to be Brasil because if they do win, downtown Framingham (the town where I work which also sports an unusually high concentration of Brazilians) will be a horror show for at least two days.

If that makes me a selfish bastard, then so be it.

5:51 PM  
Blogger John said...

Outstanding! You need to skip a SoCal Saturday and we'll go haul a bit of wood up here. No swimming pool, but we have beer and a hot tub afterward.

8:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home