Send via SMS

19.6.06

Inimitable Vocal Stylings

"There goes my baby, She knows how to rock and roll. She drives me crazy; she gives me hot and cold fever then she leaves me in a cool cool sweat."

Jenn and I finally got some kind of a social life on Saturday. Which was nice. Tight purse strings have kept us from doing much but renting movies and getting drunk at home since I've been here, but now that Jenn's monster payrise is in and the possibility of your hero actually having a job looms large on the horizon, we're preparing to become the next big thing in Hollywood.

Or not.

Saturday's excuse for a piss-up was Jenn meeting up with an old friend of hers, Kelly, for the first time in about a decade. I was designated husband for the evening, and Shannon (Kelly's other half) was designated girlfriend. Or at least, that's how it went in my head. The reality was quite different, and we were all getting along famously before we even reached the expensive French restaurant where we dined. One reasonably impressive meal and a couple of drinks later, we hit the road and ended up at a seedy karaoke bar/bowling alley, where we took advantage of all the facilities and eventually staggered out at sometime after one in the morning. Actually, I say staggered, but I think I was the only one who managed to get a decent drunk on. This may explain why it was I decided to butcher several songs with my own, inimitable vocal stylings.

Okay, I had a decent singing voice in me once upon a time. It just didn't show itself until after I'd butchered The Joker. I chased this with Wichita Lineman, Crazy Little Thing Called Love, and Semi-Charmed Life with, I think, varying degrees of success. If you ask me, I think I did a pretty mean Freddie Mercury. But I was drunk, so you may be better off asking someone else. Like Shannon or Kelly, who were much better, or Jenn, who was nothing like drunk enough to show off her skills.

Anyway, here's a few pics:

Michael, en route to another Strike (please ignore the ball that's clearly heading for the gutter, it's a photographic aberration).


Jenn and Kelly feeling particularly cheesy.

Kelly And Shannon rockin' the suburbs.

Modified lyrics: "Some people call me the space cowboy. Some call me the gangster of love. Some people call me Michael, and I'm wearing an unflattering shirt."

Jenn practically begged me to include this. So here, for your viewing pleasure, is the award-winning image, 'Recovering Alcoholic At Karaoke'.

This one was actually taken on my birthday last week, but I like it too much to keep it to myself.

3 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

That was a thoroughly entertaining post. I'm a big karaoke fool myself!

6:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Smiles on the last photo say it all.

7:07 PM  
Blogger John said...

Two words - Thin Lizzy.

Ugh. Not good.

8:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home