Send via SMS

4.2.05

Close Encounters Of The Third (Interview) Kind

"Spent some time in stormy weather, under clouds of my dilemma. Now there's nothing much to do but sit and rot in front of televisions staring back at me. I'm just waiting for the microwaves to wash me to the sea."

Ordinarily, you go to a maximum of two interviews before they let you know if you've got the job or not. Most times it's only one. Unless you're travelling a huge distance to this job, you can be fairly sure that the interview will take only a few hours out of your day. Yup, applying for a new job is not a process you should expect to massively disrupt your life.

Unless you're me.

I was up at quarter past ten this morning. Quarter past TEN! That's obscene! Now, I know most of you are rolling your eyes and thinking something along the lines of, 'You lazy fucker! I get up at four', but I think it's fair to say that most of you aren't ordinarily awake until five or six in the morning (especially not if you had to be up at four), so spare me a little pity here, okay? I am a creature of the night, and I have little understanding of this thing you call 'daylight'.

So I was up early, mainly because I had to travel to another _______ store, this one roughly the same distance in the opposite direction to the place where I had my assessment. Because I don't drive, though, and because there's no direct transport, I had to get a train into London before getting another one back out again. This meant that it was well after lunchtime when I finally got where I needed to be, just in time for the strangest interview I've ever taken part in.

Normally, one would feel slightly annoyed with oneself if one were to use the word 'piss' during a second interview with a home entertainment company that has a very pronounced leaning towards the family. Me, I felt fine, mainly because the Area Manager had already hurled many curses into the air-conditioned emptiness of the store we'd been wondering around for the past forty-five minutes. I'm not familiar with this method of interviewing potential candidates for a management post, but after today, I'm convinced that it's rather effective. After the bland PR of the Human Resources guys that ran the assessment, I found my second interviewer blunt, honest, and more than a little amusing. I think he liked me too, as he's invited me back for ANOTHER interview some time in the next ten days. In the intervening time, I have been set a task. I must go to one of the competition's stores, make some notes, and then write an incredibly snide report stating how and why the home entertainment company looking ever more likely to employ me is better.

I got home at half past five, which means I have now lost two days to these people. Two WHOLE days that I can never get back. With the possibility of a third looming, and further hours to spend in unpaid industrial espionage, you'd have to think a job was on the cards now...

...wouldn't you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home