Send via SMS

10.1.05

Professional Cynic

"I was born as a pantomine horse, ugly as the sun when he falls to the floor. I was cut from the wreckage one day, this is what I get for being that way."

So I was filling out a survey at this community I'm a member of. It was a 'Best And Worst Of 2004' affair, and concerned movies, TV, and music. It got me thinking about how popular culture seems to be getting ever more shallow with each passing year, and I got to wondering if this was actually the case or whether I was just growing up and becoming even more cynical.

The most recent movie that I genuinely enjoyed and spent time thinking about after it was over was Igby Goes Down, which came out in 2002. There were a few films I saw last year that I liked, but nothing that'll stay with me, nothing that had any real impact. Music's the same. I happen to think the likes of The Killers and The Delays are just really, really average rock and roll bands with nothing distinctive or exciting about them whatsoever. They're just dull. As for TV, well, I was thinking about sharing some of my thoughts about that particular medium, but I decided it might be better to let one of my survey answers do it for me...

Which 2004 TV show are you most glad to see the back of?
Sex And The City. Bye bye, vapid thirty-something role models for a generation of fucking retards. Enjoy the rest of your career doing commercials for the menopause magazines. Sex And The City was not funny, meaningful, sexy, or interesting. It was hollow and empty, like Kim Cattrall's soul. See, this is what happens when people are starved of meaningful entertainment. They start out just making do, but then after a while, the standards start falling and you end up with trash like this being somehow important and influential. And when that happens, it has an impact on culture in general, magnifying the dull stereotypes portrayed in its badly-written, badly-acted, bland little commercial world. Believe me, stopping the show when they did saved lives, because if I'd had to bear witness to the utter nullity of the Sex And The City world one more time, even in an advert, I'd have hopped on a plane to the States and massacred the whores responsible with a big fucking sword.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home