Send via SMS

29.10.04

A Bandwagon With No Brakes

"One day I'll come through with my american dream, but it won't mean a fucking thing."

I wasn't going to talk about the Presidential election anymore, but I found myself thumbing through The Independent's special feature on that very subject today. I also found myself confronted by the opinion and endorsement of one Hunter S. Thompson. Thompson stated in the article featured that he both endorsed Kerry and believed he'd win.

For a moment, I have to say, I had a twinge of conscience. Pretty much everybody that's usually on my side has come out in favour of Kerry, while all I have done is called him a non-entity and a man most famous for the fact that he is not George W. Bush. But I can't escape this feeling I have that Kerry becoming President is nothing like the fix America (and the world) needs right now. In fact, it might even be one of the worst things that could possibly happen.

I've already talked about that, though, so let's not follow old paths. For today, let's just say that disagreeing with Hunter Thompson, a personal hero and easily my favourite living writer (not to mention a man with frighteningly accurate political instincts), has left me realising just what a strange angle I appear to be coming from as far as this election goes.

But, as Mark Twain once wrote, "Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform."

On a day that saw Eminem releasing a music video via the internet, urging fans to vote out President Bush, I find that rather apt. This is no longer a movement, it's a bandwagon. And in four years time, regardless of the result this November, its passengers are going to look like fools.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home