Send via SMS

27.12.05

Connecting Airborne Pig

"Break the window by the town hall. Listen, the siren screams, there in the distance, like a roll call of all the suburban dreams."

It's a rare day you see this boy heading posts with Pet Shop Boys lyrics. But hey, I pick the words that feel right, and those do. Onward, friends, onward...

The recent lack of posting is due to my ducking out of Christmas and heading to N's, where seasonal activities were largely ignored in favour of videogames and the four disc set of old Transformers cartoons I got him.

Sadly, and though memorising an endless stream of Galvatron quotes is more fun than it has any right to be, I returned home this afternoon for belated openage and a big bowl of profiteroles. Nothing remarkable to report. My lack of enthusiasm for Christmas tends to manifest itself in a series of dull and invariably clothing-related presents.

Oh, except I got an iPod! Woohoo! And a Bill Hicks t-shirt from Jennifer! Yay! And a Scrubs DVD from Jammie! Wheeee!

Ahem.

I was glad for these gifts, because they offset the day from hell. Oh sure, Mr. Thameslink, sure the trains are running on time and without incident. Just like always, right? I'll just hop on the 14:45 from Bedford and catch the connecting airborne pig from Luton. Or maybe not, eh? Maybe I'll have to get on a replacement bus service due to - wait for it - 'ice on the track', before making my weary way to platform 2 of Luton station and standing in the midst of what appears to be a refugee camp for ninety minutes. Yeah, that sounds like a fun way to spend my afternoon.

"We're running thirty to fifty minutes late," said the guard.

"Oh, really?" I replied. "Funny, you'd have thought you people would have come to terms with this 'winter' thing by now, what with it happening every fucking year."

Later, I played good samaritan for an old lady in a wheelchair who appeared to be struggling to remove the lid from a bottle of sparkling water. Said beverage promptly exploded all over me.

"You did that on purpose, didn't you?" I said, with such genuine bitterness in my voice that bystanders laughed in disbelief.

Still, I got home eventually, and seeing as we're closing on yet another New Year, expect some 'Best Of...' style posting in the next couple of days.

3 Comments:

Blogger {illyria} said...

happy new year's, michael. i remember when this was still neon exile.

5:47 AM  
Blogger Jen Jordan said...

Where's the story you bastard?!?!?!?!?

9:41 AM  
Blogger Michael said...

Hey, you said first week of January. I'm coasting.

:P

4:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home